The key concepts of YugabyteDB
from the YFTT first episode with the Yugabyte founders
Technical questions are better answered by engineers. The Yugabyte Friday Tech Talks is the right place and the first episode had the three founders of the PostgreSQL compatible open-source distributed SQL database YugabyteDB
What means “Cloud-Native”?
- scale: you can ask for a machine and get it in a few minutes
- always available: machines are inherently going to fail at some point
- replicate data across data centers
Why a “two layer architecture” ?
- user facing popular API: reuse the PostgreSQL codebase,
compares to AWS Aurora
- horizontally scalable engine: distributed storage and transactions,
compares to Google Spanner
Reasons for “SQL” and “relational” API?
- data modeling flexibility
- query flexibility
- write productive applications
Those talks are announced in LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/search/results/all/?keywords=YugabyteDB%20Friday%20Tech%20Talks, follow live with questions, or watch the recodings on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wWcQHmmIcs&list=PL8Z3vt4qJTkLTIqB9eTLuqOdpzghX8H40
And of course, I’ll notify on Twitter: https://twitter.com/FranckPachot